Lost or Haven't Received a W-2?

Form W-2 is one of the most essential pieces of paper when filing your taxes. If you've lost a W-2 - or if you never got one in the first place - there are a few things you can do:

Your employer is supposed to send a W-2 to both you and the Internal Revenue Service. The form reports how much you earned and the amount of taxes witheld from your paycheck.

Go ahead and contact the IRS. The IRS advises you to reach out if you haven't received the form by February 14. You should also contact your employer and ask them to issue you a W-2, or replace the one you lost.

If you run out of time, you can file your taxes using a Form 4852, estimating your income and witholding taxes yourself. If you get a W-2 after the tax deadline you can file an amended return.

You can contact the IRS about missing W-2s at 800-829-1040. Remember to provide your name, address, Social Security number and phone number, as well as your employer's contact information, the dates you worked there and your estimated wages and income tax witheld.

Published: 01/30/2015